Welcome to Roundwood Primary
At Roundwood Primary School we strive to provide a happy, safe and caring environment where everyone is valued and actively encouraged to reach their full potential both academically and socially.
Roundwood seeks to be an effective partnership between staff, governors and parents providing a curriculum appropriate to each child. We have a common set of core believes based upon:
- Being open and honest with each other
- Being considerate and cooperative to promote positive behaviour
- Communicating effectively
- Being forward looking, receptive and adaptable to a changing world
We are proud of our last Inspection Report which described the school as “Roundwood is an outstanding school which gives its pupils an excellent all round education”. For a pdf version of the Summary of the Inspection Report please click here.
Roundwood Primary has a wide range of resources:
- Two libraries, with fiction and non-fiction books for children of all ages
- Two playgrounds and a large sports field, as well as a wide variety of indoor PE equipment
- Musical equipment, including a full set of steel pans and our own practice room, for use by all pupils
- An environmental studies area with a pond
- A large school hall, with dining room and kitchen
- A computer network, with all computers linked to the internet
- Each class has its own room and resources for all its learning needs
Roundwood Primary School Uniform
Please ensure all items of uniform and personal property including coats are clearly marked with your child’s name.
Nursery and reception children
- Coats and shoes would be able to be fastened independently, such as with Velcro or zips
- Spare set of clothes including underwear, socks or tights to be kept in book bag
Nursery Uniform – optional
If you choose not to send your child in uniform, please remember that clothes worn should be practical and allow for ease of movement and participation in a variety of activities, both indoor and out, messy play and physical activity.
- Elasticated trousers
- A white school polo shirt
- A navy/school sweatshirt
- Black plimsolls for indoor use
- A book bag (available from the Office, £8)
Uniform for Reception, KS1 and KS2 pupils
- Plain dark grey tailored trousers, skirt or pinafore dress
- White school polo shirt and navy school sweatshirt or cardigan
- Black, white or grey socks or plain navy or grey tights.
- Optional summer uniform: Shorts or yellow and white gingham dress.
- Winter uniform: During the cold winter months, long trousers rather than shorts should be worn
- Coat – warm and waterproof
- If preferred, tailored shirts and school ties can be worn
- Low-heeled black or navy shoes. Sandals may be worn but toes should be enclosed.
- Trainers should be predominantly black – brightly coloured footwear should not be worn.
- Indoor shoes – black plimsolls or trainers
- White PE shirt with school logo.
- Black PE shorts.
- Change of socks for PE – especially if tights are worn.
- Navy blue or black tracksuit for P.E.
- Trainers for outdoor P.E.
- Navy jacket fleece-lined/showerproof (Optional)
- Football boots and shin pads are compulsory for children wishing to attend football club.
- Book bag for carrying reading books to and from school
- Classroom water bottle – named
- Named drawstring bag to hold P.E. kit
School uniform suppliers
- Beat School Uniforms – www.beatschooluniforms.co.uk
Tel: 020 3362 2930
Address: 4 Station Road, Harpenden, AL5 4SE
- Stevenson’s in St Albans, 01727 853262.
Please note, on formal occasions such as joint local schools’ music concerts, the children will be required to wear shirts/blouses and school ties – this usually applies only to the oldest pupils and a number of school ties are kept at school for use by pupils.
Roundwood Primary further information
The School Day
Key Stage 1 and 2
- Morning 8.40am – 12.00
- Afternoon 1.00pm – 3.00
- All the children have a 15 minute break in the morning.
The school does not have kitchen facilities but all Reception and KS1 children are provided with a free packed lunch. This is not compulsory so you can provide them with a home packed lunch if you would prefer. KS2 children may either purchase a hot dinner and/or packed lunch through the canteen facilities at Roundwood Park or bring their own packed lunch from home.
Free School Meals – Is your child eligible?
If you receive one of the following benefits you could be eligible for free school meals worth over £300 per child per year :
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, with a taxable income of no more than £16,190 and not in receipt of Working Tax Credit
- Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after employment finishes or after you start to work less than 16 hours per week
It is now easier than ever for families to apply for free school meals, especially as applicants do not usually need to provide paper proof of benefit.
Parents/Carers should apply for free school meals online at:
Since the introduction of the Eligibility Checking Service (ECS) (previously called the Hub), most applicants do not need to provide paper proof of benefit. As soon as their application is submitted, we will check using the ECS whether the parent/carer qualifies for free school meals and advise them of the outcome immediately.
Further details may also be obtained by phoning the Customer Service Centre on 0300 123 4048.
The School Year
The school year runs from September to the end of the following July and is divided into three terms. Click on the links at the side for term dates for this and the coming academic year, also for List of Uniform, Staff List and a map to find the school.
Our school provides free, part-time nursery education for rising fours. Children enter as Reception aged pupils at rising five. All Reception aged pupils commence full time education from the start of the Autumn Term.
Application and admissions is dealt with via the local authority.
Admissions & Transport Team: West
Call Centre: 03001234043
Click to view our performance table on The Department of Education
- About Us
- Clubs & Activities
- Friends Association (PTA)
- Pupil Premium
- SATs Results
- Sport Premium
- Statutory Information